Here are the shots doctors recommend for most kids:
Birth Through 6 Years
- Hepatitis B (hep B) – This prevents an infection that causes liver failure. Children need three doses in their first 18 months of life (2, 4 and 18 months).
- Rotavirus (RV) – This protects your child from a stomach infection that causes life-threatening diarrhea. Babies get two doses (2 and 8 months).
- Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis (DTaP) – Five doses protect against all three diseases. They start at 2 months through age 6.
- Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) – The vaccine protects against a bacteria that causes dangerous brain, lung, and windpipe infections. Kids get it three or four times (depending on the vaccine brand) starting at 2 months.
- Pneumococcal vaccine (PCV13) – It comes in three doses, starting at 2 months. The shot protects against deadly brain and blood infections.
- Inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) – Four doses protect against polio. They start at 2 months.
- Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) – Two doses guard against all three of these illnesses. Your child gets one at 12 months and another at 18 months.
- Hepatitis A (hep A) – The hepatitis A virus can cause liver failure. The vaccine against hepatitis A is given in grade 4.
- Varicella (chickenpox) – Kids need two doses, spaced out about 4-5 years.
- Influenza (flu) – It is recommended that everyone age 6 months of age and older get this vaccine every year. Kids under age 9 may need more than one dose.
7 Through 18 Years Old
- Tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (Tdap) – This is a follow-up shot to the DTaP vaccine kids get when they’re younger. They need it because the protection from DTaP fades over time.
- Meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV4) – This protects against meningitis, a disease that affects the brain and spinal cord. Kids need their first dose at age 11 or 12 and another at age 16.
- Human papillomavirus (HPV)– This common virus is linked to cervical cancer and genital warts. Children need three doses starting at age 11 or 12.
- Influenza (Flu) – Recommended every year.